Friday, July 07, 2006

Always Put Salt In Your Eyes

Just some random thoughts.
  • I just finished Orson Scott Card's Speaker For The Dead. Again. Have you ever noticed how reading a good book can be totally invigorating? Seriously, that book is just incredible. Now I have to find my copy of Ender's Game and read that again.
  • Speaking of which, Ender's Game is such an odd book. Odd, in that its such an important book, but it often gets shunted into juvenile literature. Not that I don't want kids reading it, in fact, more kids should read it, but so should adults. Certainly before they read a Harry Potter book. But when you give a book a cover like this most adults won't be likely to pick it up. And yes, I've read the Harry Potter books, and enjoyed them.
  • What is the preferred justification style? Right justified or full justified? I prefer the rigid guidelines offered by full justification, and feel that it makes the reading flow better. But in the notes on my thesis proposal, my professor said that right justification allowed "for a more natural, readable look to the page." So I did it his way, but I still prefer full justification. But I am falling in love with Chicago citation style.
  • Man, that last one reveals me as a total academic nerd.
  • I'm watching Family Business right now on The Movie Network, and Cousin Stevie is visiting Lucha Va Voom to find new talent for Adam's talent agency. Man, burlesque and lucha libre, what a combination. I totally need to move to L.A. So now I guess I need to write up my script treatments. Does anyone know how to sell those?
  • Man, Myrna just dumped Adam. Bummer.
  • I think RVD's punishment is justified, and I'm somewhat glad that WWE chose to punish him, rather than ignore the incident to keep him on the ECW shows. Not that ECW's success seems to be a priority to anyone.
  • Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was nominated for an Emmy. That's so awesome. Me love Eduardo.
  • The decision to nominate Martin Sheen for Best Actor makes less sense.
  • It is interesting to see that Lost, Desperate Housewives and the entire CSI family were all excluded from nominations.
  • 24 also makes little sense. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, even though I don't watch it on television, and instead wait until its out on DVD. But its escapist fare. It would be like seeing Superman Returns nominated for Best Picture
  • I picked up EA's NFL Head Coach. If you like Owner Mode in Madden and NCAA, you'll probably like this game. I'll write up a more detailed review, as there are some flaws that need to be addressed.
  • TVTropolis is now onto Season 2 of 90210. It's total soap opera now. Bless them. The episode where Scott accidentally shoots himself at his birthday party is a classic. Evidently the guy who played Scott is now in USAF Intelligence.
  • Looking forward to UFC 61 tomorrow night, despite the fact that my roommate has abandoned me and gone to visit his buddy in St. Louis. Or, as I like to call it, the place where you can buy better snack foods than in Canada.
  • Why can't I get Hostess Fruit Pies or pudding pies here? Are they so much to ask?
  • Didn't bother watching the second episode of Blade: The Series. It will be interesting to see what the ratings for the show will be without UFC. Same with TNA: Impact.
  • The title for this post came courtesy of the Kids In The Hall. Man, what happened to Dave Foley? Dude looks rough these days, particularly compared to those shows.

No comments: