Wednesday, August 16, 2006

TUF4 - Mama Said Knock You Out


Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Makin the tears rain down like a MON-soon
Listen to the bass go BOOM
Explosion, overpowerin
Over the competition, I'm towerin
Wreckin shop, when I drop these lyrics that'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare, you betta move
Don't ever compare
Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's payin the price

"Mama Said Knock You Out" -- LL Cool J

If these lyrics don't accompany the opening credits for the latest UFC reality tv offering, The Ultimate Fighter 4, there is a serious problem. Not simply because I'm getting quite sick and tired of that generic hard pop song that they use, but because this song is just plain awesome.

The genius of Ladies Love aside, I'm quite looking forward to this next installment of The Ultimate Fighter. As TUF3 proved, and as we've seen from the performances of TUF alumni, the fighters from the first three shows haven't quite been up to par with the rest of the competitors in the octagon. So it seems that, rather than see if there's a layer below the bottom of the barrel, UFC has chosen to give 16 former UFC fighters a second chance.

Of course, I don't believe this move is purely altruistic on UFC's part. With the advent of the IFL and WFA, and Pride's interest in breaking into the American market on a larger scale, UFC knows that they have to get better fighters under contract. Since many of the guys who have emerged from past TUF seasons haven't quite cut the mustard, they have to look to other sources. And because groups like WFA and IFL are signing guys with some name recognition, UFC is obviously seeing these 16 fighters as an opportunity to ensure that they don't sign with a competing organization, as well as providing them with a better batch of fights for the fourth season of the show.

I'm also looking forward to some of the changes that will come with this new season. First of all, no teams. Instead, the guys will be training with both of the main coaches. Second of all, I'm looking forward to seeing how they decide who fights who, now that the teams have been eliminated. Finally, because these fighters have been in the UFC before, and have even faced one another, I think there should be some good personality clashes. More importantly, personality clashes based on something more important than who doesn't do dishes, or who makes childish insults regarding the others. Instead, these conflicts should involve actual conflicts between the fighters.

I'm also looking forward to some of the personalities in the house. More specifically, I'm looking forward to Shonie Carter. Sure he's named after a reasonably priced family restaurant. But he comes to the ring with a golden goblet. And he wears a banana hammock when training. Plus he knocked Matt Serra out with a spinning backhand. And since Serra is also on the show, this should prove interesting.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to are the trainers. I know everybody loves Randy Couture. I wouldn't go as far as Joe Rogan and proclaim the guy my hero, but I think he's pretty nifty too. But he's never struck me as a particularly exciting guy. I'm sure he'll provide some great advice to the fighters, but I don't envision any of the excitement of Shamrock/Ortiz that was the highlight of TUF3.

Plus, Georges St. Pierre is the other trainer. And GSP is a great, exciting fighter. But his English leaves something to be desired. While this should prove interesting when he tries to explain things to the guys he's training, it could also mean a bunch of strange looks and angry comments.

All that being said, I think this should be a good season. 16 guys who have something to prove, and no guys with creepy stalker-like crushes on the trainers.

3 comments:

D. Ling said...

Swain, any predictions?
I'm going to eat these words likely but based on what I've seen from these guys before I like Matt Serra at 170 and Edwin Dewees at 185. Serra is a good submissions guy and although he's been beat by two guys already on the show, one was a split decision and the other was a fluke KO.
Dewees lost to Franklin, who is a tough guy and I think Dewees could do some damage in a weaker 185 lbs division.

Swain said...

I'm always wary of making picks, because my prognostication skills are not the best.
I do like Serra in the 170, and I'm leaning towards Cote in the 185.

D. Ling said...

Cote, when in doubt pick the Canadian.