Saturday, August 19, 2006

Ultimate Fight Night Thoughts

Well, Todd and Dave have already posted their thoughts on Ultimate Fight Night, and I don't have much to add, as I pretty much agree with everything they had to say. But I'll still say a few things.
  • Going into the fight, I was rooting for Karo Parisyan. Diego Sanchez didn't really impress me in his last fight, and, to be perfectly honest, I've always found him to be a little bit creepy. But he really impresed me at Ultimate Fight Night. But I remember after the second round, I said to my roommate something along the lines that Karo's face was not the face of the man who was winning the fight. I know that isn't worded very well, but basically, after two rounds, Karo seemed to be the winner. I'm not saying that Diego didn't win the fight, he did. But I think a solid argument could have been made that Karo won the first two rounds. At the very least, there could be healthy debate over who won the first two rounds. But the third round? Diego pwnd Karo. The fact that there are/were concerns that Karo has a broken orbital bone indicates the level of the beating that Diego laid down on Karo. I'm not trying to diminish Diego's victory. Looking at the fight from a holistic perspective, Diego won. But with the system in place, Karo could have legitimately been declared the winner of that fight. I'm glad he wasn't, as that would have caused needless controversy, but the possibility was there.
  • Don't agree with me? Hell, Meltzer had the fight 28-28. And who am I to argue with the Meltz?
  • With all that being said...30-26? Where the hell is the Las Vegas Athletic Commission getting their judges? Rogan's comment from an earlier event that a judge should be shot may be a little extreme, but perhaps a solid beating with a bar of soap in a tube sock is in order.
  • And, despite his victory, Diego still creeps me out. Look, I'm not the most religious guy in the world. But I'm pretty sure God, Jesus, Mohammad and Moses don't take a personal interest in who wins a fight. Look, if you want to thank God that nobody was seriously injured, that's cool. But don't thank God for a win. It belittles your faith, it alienates fans, and it suggests that omnipotent deities don't take an interest in things like war, natural disasters, global pandemics or the Red Sox/Yankees series. You know, the really important stuff.
  • During the TUF3 marathon last weekend, I told my roommate that I wanted to see more of Dean Lister. Note to self, be careful what you wish for.
  • I refuse to feel bad when Jonathon Goulet loses, so long as he has that stupid hair.
  • With one flip of the bird, I think Jason Von Flue guaranteed at least one more UFC fight. Dude knew he was going to lose, and decided to have some fun before he tapped.
  • I think Leben is going to have to do more to erase the stink of the Anderson Silva fight than knocking out Jorge Santiago.

Overall, I thought this was a great event, and just what the UFC needed, particularly after the last PPV. We weren't subjected to a bunch of ads for crappy programming we don't care about, and everything flowed fairly well. This was one of the tightest UFC events ever, even with the time overage that messed up my recording. They need to follow this pattern for all of their events, and not let their shows become glorified infomercials for programming that nobody cares about.

I mean really, is anybody watching Blade: The Series? Anyone?

2 comments:

D. Ling said...

Good point that this was the tightest UFC show that they've ever had on Spike, the only two things they really advertised during the show were Madden 07 and the Red Rock H&C and there's nothing wrong with either of those.

I thought Diego was way overrated after his last fight but destroying Karo in the fashion that he did it was something special.

What's wrong with Lister? No body likes that guy but if Dana would throw him in there with another submissions guy like Matt Serra (different weight class, but you get the idea) then that would be a tremendous ground fight.

Von Flue was simply outclassed, not his fault but he's not ready to fight a guy like Riggs. I'm sure he was a little disappointed in his own performance leading to the finger but it was pretty funny.

Blade... once I left my house and left my TV on Spike to come home with 5 minutes left in Blade.. I feel bad for supporting that show.

Swain said...

I'm not calling Lister's submission skills into question, but part of your strategy shouldn't be "wait for opponent to fall into submission hold while lying on ground gasping for air."

And you should feel bad about supporting Blade. The only thing that could make it worse would be if you have a Nielsen box.