Sunday, February 19, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

Once again, there are a whole bunch of DVDs I need to buy, or will need to buy in upcoming weeks. In no particular order:

  • ECW Bloodsport - I discuss this later. So read the rest, then think back to this near the end of this post.
  • 20 Years Too Soon - The Superstar Billy Graham Story - I've seen some teaser stuff, and read Burgan's review on the Observer site. Damn, this looks good.
  • Best of Christopher Daniels: Heaven Sent, Hell Bound - Seriously, do I need to explain why I need this?
  • The Richard Pryor Show - My desert island CDs include Pryor and Lenny Bruce. Now we need a box set of Pryor's and Wilder's movies.
  • Action: The Complete Series - This show was brilliant. Buddy Hackett was hilarious, and it ripped on Hollywood better than Last Action Hero ever dreamed, and was more accessible than The Player.
  • Grosse Pointe: The Complete Series - I think I'm the only person who watched this show. But it had Irene Molloy. Plus, it was actually pretty funny.

    Plus, WWE.com has listed these upcoming DVDs:
  • Austin vs. McMahon: The Definitive Collection - I'm skeptical. Sounds like Vince really wants to recapture the glory days. Maybe Vince will watch the DVD and remember that Austin became a star because he connected with the fans, and plans were changed to take advantage of this. But it could be nice to enjoy what we, the fans, had back then, in the days before the McMahon-Helmsley era began.
  • Brian Pillman: Loose Cannon - This should be awesome. But they need to focus on what Pillman could do IN the ring, and not just his wacky antics. But I've gotta say, I really hope the gun thing is in there.
  • Hulk Hogan: The Ultimate Anthology - This is supposed to be a 4-discer. That'll show all those people who bought the 2-disc set a few years ago. The question is who will the Hulkster wrestle when he makes his return to promote this?
  • Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story - So long as Piper is involved, it should be good. It'll be like the Jake Roberts DVD, where the matches are secondary. (But still better than half the stuff we're offered today.)
  • The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA - Please, oh please, oh please, let it involve the AWA Team Challenge Series and the "Great American Turkey Hunt."
  • John Cena: The Time is Now - The time actually IS now, because once HHH is done with him, Cena won't have any credibility left.
  • The World's Greatest Wrestling Managers - Is it irony when a company which has done their best to kill the tradition of the wrestling manager now capitalizes on the nostalgia of the fans to promote a DVD showcasing how vital wrestling managers once were, and what we're missing by not having them around today?
  • The American Dream: The Dusty Rhodes Story - Are we gonna find out what was in the envelope?
  • WWE Divas Do New York - Alas, my name isn't New York.
  • ECW Blood Sport: The Most Violent Matches -- Volume II - I like the idea behind this. But it also shows that Vince and Co. still don't quite get what ECW was, and what it still means to people. ECW wasn't JUST about violence. Oh, violence was part of it. But it wasn't the only part of it. But I guess its just easier to say that it was all about the violence. It saves them from thinking about what they didn't do then, and what they're not doing now.

    Oh well, I guess I need to choose between tuition and these DVDs. I think I'll enjoy the DVDs more.
  • No comments: